Skip to content ↓


Our School’s Vision

Our vision is that South Molton United Church Of England Primary School will be a secure, happy and welcoming environment, in which emotional needs will be considered and everyone can achieve their potential, as life-long learners.


As a church community school, we aim to embrace Christian values which enable us to be socially responsible members of our rich and diverse community, within a changing world.



South Molton United Church of England Primary School together with Devon County Council are committed to ensuring that all children and young people have a good start in life. Some children and young people have Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and these needs mean a child may require additional support at certain times during their life.

Our school aims to be as supportive and as inclusive as possible, with the needs of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met within the school setting wherever possible.  We have a committed and dedicated team to ensure good quality teaching within our school for all our pupils.


What is the “Local Offer”?

The Children and Families Bill came into force in March 2014.  From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the 0-25’s.  This is called the “Local Offer”.

Devon County Council has taken a multi-agency approach in supporting young people with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).  This means new ways of working were schools, care workers and the National Health Service work together to provide for a SEND child.

Please click below to link you to Devon County Council’s dedicated webpages relating to the local offer.

Devon County Council Local Offer

The School’s SEND Information report  

This report applies DCC’s local offer to meet the needs of our SEND pupils in conjunction with school policies, the school environment and provision within the school.  


What Can South Molton C of E Primary offer a child with Special Educational Needs?

At South Molton United Church of England Primary School, we understand that every child is different, and therefore, the educational needs will need to be specific to each individual child, this is very much the case for pupils with Special Educational Needs.

No pupil will be refused admission to our school on the basis of his or her special educational need.  In line with the Equality Act 2010 we will not discriminate against disabled children in respect of admissions for a reason related to their disability.  We will use our best endeavours to provide effective educational provision.

Who has responsibility within our School for SEND?

The Class Teacher

Responsible for:- ·               

Providing the very best teaching which enables all children to progress and achieve to their full potential.                

Checking on the progress of a child, planning and delivering any additional help a child may need (this could be direct work related or additional staff support), updating the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) on concerns/progress. 

Writing My Plans and setting progression targets.  Reviewing these termly, updating and feeding back to parents

Following guidance from outside agencies on ways of teaching children with specialist needs

Ensuring that the school’s SEN policy is followed in the classroom.

The SENCo:  Mrs Natalie Oatway

Responsible for:-

  • Developing and reviewing the School’s SEN policy in conjunction with the SEN Governor Co-ordinating and submitting the SEN Audit
  • Ensuring that parents are involved with their child’s learning, through review meeting, TAC/DAF meetings etc
  • Liaising with outside agencies coming into the school to support pupils with a specific need, ie speech and language therapy, educational psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register
  • Providing support for Class teachers so they can provide the best help for children with SEND.

The Head Teacher – Mr Kevin O’Donnell

Responsible for:- ·               

  • The day-to-day management of the school; this includes supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo, however will still be responsible for that child’s SEND progression.
  • Updating the Governing Body on issues relating to SEND children.

The SEN Governor - Mr John Cundill

Responsible for:-

  • Reviewing the SEN Policy with the SENCo.
  • Making sure that necessary support is given to any child with SEND who attends our school.

What Support is Available for Children with SEND?

Class Teacher input: ·               

  • Our teachers have the highest possible expectations for children with SEND needs and all other children within their class. 
  • Teaching is based on what the SEND child already knows, can do and understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are practised, so that the child is fully involved in learning within a classroom environment.  This may include a more practical approach to learning.
  • Specific practices are engaged to support the child’s learning.  These could be things that have been suggested by outside agencies or by our SENCo.
  • The child’s progress will be carefully monitored and any gaps in their learning will be identified and bridged accordingly. Specific Intervention Work (Group Work).
  • Run within a classroom environment with Teaching Assistants (TAs).
  • Run within small groups in our dedicated classroom by our Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTA’s).
  • Afterschool and before school additional group work run by a dedicated teacher supported by TA’s.  

Outside Agency Support    

Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years for full information,   but in this school can include:-  

  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Behavioural Support  

The outside agencies are called on when the school has identified a need for specialist support.  They are identified by the SENCo in conjunction with the class teacher.  

What may happen when an outside agency is involved?   ·        

Parents are likely to be asked to give permission to the school so they can refer their child to the relevant outside agency.  This helps the school to understand the child’s particular need in more detail and the best way in which to support him/her effectively within the school.
There may be a form in which parents are asked to fill in regarding their child.

The specialist agency worker will come into school and work with the child to understand their needs and make recommendations on ways to support the child further in their education.

Specified Individual Support

This support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

In Devon the process is known as the Devon Assessment Framework (DAF).  DAF’s have been developed to provide a coordinated system, which covers children and young people aged 0 to 25 years. This has been developed as a comprehensive system that includes support across education, health and social care.  The whole process includes: 

DAF 1: Family Information and Assessment
DAF 2a: My Plan (through a Team Around the Child or Team Around Me meeting)
DAF 2b: Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP)
DAF 3: Request for Additional Resources (not dependent on an ECHP)
DAF 4: Transition Assessment (post 16) This is replacing the old system of Statements. 

If a child already has a statement this will continue to be supported. A phased programme for converting statements to education, health and care plans will start from November 2014.

More in depth information on how this works can be found using the link below.

DCC Statements

 How does a child get referred?

It is expected that any request for statutory assessment comes as part of the Devon Assessment Framework as set out above.

A statutory assessment must set out clearly the reason for it and provide information about the provision the child has already received. Once it has been decided, routes for referral can come via a few different ways:

A request for an assessment by the child’s school or setting
A request for an assessment from a parent or person with parental responsibility (statutory assessment request – online form)
A referral by another agency

Parents will be involved throughout the assessment process and will be provided with regular updates.  If there is a problem about the process there is a process for appeals and mediation that can be followed.

If you are a parent of South Molton Primary and you think your child needs to be referred please make an appointment to see the class teacher or the school’s SENCo before submitting an application.  The school will be required to submit supporting evidence to back the assessment you do.

For more information about the process you can go to the special educational needs and disabilities 0-25 code of practice.

How does the school identify a child having problems with learning and what happens once a need has been identified?

Every child at our school is monitored to make sure they are making progress in their education.  If there are gaps within their progress plan, then measures are put in place to help that child to narrow the gaps.  For example if a child is not making good progress in reading they will be given additional reading interventions (small working groups) or one to one reading sessions to help the child gain more confidence and understanding of reading.  Where appropriate this will include a rigorous programme based on synthetic phonics to enable them to catch up.

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with parents in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns parents may have.
  • Plan any additional support the child may need.
  • Discuss any referrals to outside professionals to support the child.
  • Set up an Individual Education Plan.
  • Talk about homework and adjust homework levels accordingly.
  • Use a home school diary to communicate between the school and home

How is a child with SEND funded for support?

The school receives from Devon County Council in its budget a sum of money to support children with SEND.

The Head Teacher and School Governors decide how to deploy this resource to meet the SEND childrens’ needs.

The Head Teacher and SENCo co-ordinate and discuss all the information they have on SEND within the school, this includes what support is already in place, which children need additional support and which children are not making as much progress as expected.  From this the school pulls together a plan of action so that resources are shared as effectively as possible for each child with SEND needs.

We plan to draw up an action plan, which the school and Governors will monitor the impact of to make sure the resources are being used in the correct places.

Who provides support for children with SEND needs?

School provision

  • Teachers through careful planning, Individual Education Plans (My Plan) and small group work After-school booster clubs for children not meeting their target levels.
  • HLTA’s and TA’s working in small groups and one to one sessions.
  • Resource support ie THIRVE equipment, Junior Speechlink programmes, phonics reading programmes and resources to support physical and sensory needs.
  • A Teacher and Teaching Assistant are fully trained in THRIVE and offer support for children with emotional and social needs through one to one sessions.
  • Specialist training for children with health issues such as diabetes training/epi-pen training Team Teach training for children with Behaviour issues.
  • Liaise regularly with parents/carers to ensure the provision is right.

The school arranges in conjunction with the SENCo specialist training and support for teaching and support staff to improve learning for children, including those with SEND. 
This can be whole school training within school such as EPI-Pen or diabetes training to individual training by outside agencies such as THRIVE.

Local Authority provision

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Behaviour Support
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Speech and Language

Health provision delivered in school

  • Diabetes trained nurse
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy  

How does the school measure a SEND child’s progress?

  • A child will be continually monitored by the class teacher
    Their progress in maths, reading and writing will be reviewed by the Head Teacher and SENCo every term.
  • The progress is monitored on a specific assessment programme which shows their attainment in more detail.
  • At Year 2 and Year 6 all children are required to be assessed using the Standard Assessment Tests (SATs).  This is a government requirement and results are published nationally.
    Where a child has a My Plan, the targets are set out termly and updated the following term so parents can see whether they have met the targets set.
  • Where children have a statement or DAF then annual reviews take place with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCo will also check up on progress and discuss this with the child’ class teacher.

Accessibility to the school

As a School we recognise:  

  • our duty under the Disability Discrimination Act (‘95) as amended by the SENDA (2001)

    “from September 2002, it will be unlawful for schools and LEAs to discriminate against disabled pupils in their admissions and exclusions, education and associated services”  
  • Schools and LEAs must: 
  • not treat disabled pupils less favourably; and
  • take reasonable steps to avoid putting disabled pupils at a substantial disadvantage (the ‘reasonable adjustment’ duty)  
  • that Local Education Authority and school governors have the duty to publish Accessibility Strategies and Plan

The school was built in 2017 and is fully DDA compliant.

Transition from another school

Our school understands the need for good transition practice and this is especially important for a SEND child.

The school will ensure that:-

  • Our SENCo has had contact with the SENCo from the previous school, to gain a good understanding of the SEND child’s requirements/needs.
  • We will provide taster sessions so she/he can visit the school and stay for a few hours to get use to the new school environment.
  • We will obtain the child’s records from the previous school to help understand needs.

In Year 6:- ·               

  • Our SENCo will discuss the specific needs of the SEND child with the SENCo from the secondary school.  In most cases a meeting will take place between both SENCos to discuss the SEND children.
  • Additional transition will be arranged, with our TA’s helping in the process to keep familiarity in the transition period.
  • Some children can be helped by a book “understanding the move”, which can be made for them.

Emotional and Social Needs of a Child

Our school understands that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need developing and supporting.  Some children struggle with behaviour difficulties, are anxious or can’t communicate.

The school provides structured PSHE lessons within the class environment.  However sometimes some children find this difficult so therefore we provide:-

  • Small group work or THRIVE sessions to help these children with behaviour.
  • Additional play equipment for lunchtime and break time supported by planned activities by our Meal Time Assistants to promote positive play and communication.
  • Afterschool clubs to encourage these children to take part in a different activity and play as part of a team with other children.
  • There will also be scheduled meetings with parents/carers to closely monitor the behaviour. 
  • The child will have a Pastoral Support plan and an Individual Behaviour Plan outlining their targets and the support put in place for them.

If a child is still requiring additional support, our SENCo will contact the parents/carers, to seek permission to get further support from outside agencies to arrange a Team Around the Child meeting (TAC), which will help to understand the child’s emotional needs further and set out a plan to work with that child accordingly.

Please see our SEN, Behaviour, Safeguarding and Accessibility Policies under the policies section of this website.

Reviewed September 2019